Diaper Baby Shower Invitations

DIYourselfers have taken over the country by storm, and what can I say, I am definitely guilty of jumping on this cost-saving bandwagon.  Last year, my best friend asked me to host/plan her baby shower and of course, I happily accepted, but because it was a co-ed shindig, I knew I’d have my hands full with DIY projects.  The first assignment on my checklist? 50 baby shower invitations, yes you’ve read it right, 5-0.  After receiving the guest list, I immediately knew that buying cute custom cards would be out of the question, it would easily skyrocket over $100.  Instead, because I had most of the tools at home, I bought only about $30 worth of materials to make these diaper themed baby shower invitations.

Diaper baby shower invitationsdiaper baby shower invitations
Cute, right?!  I researched many pinspirational images and fused several ideas together to create this look.  It’s fairly easy to make but to be honest, pretty time consuming; However, I do think the end result was totally worth it.

DSC00416

The following materials are needed:

• 8 1/2” x 11” Printed cardstock
  • Neutral colored cardstock, cut to 4” x 5 1/2”
  • White printer paper, cut to  3 1/2” x 5”
  • 1/8” ribbon (I used ribbons that were similar in color to the neutral cardstock)
  • Glue
  • Adhesive dot roller
  • X-acto blade & Self healing mat (optional)
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Printer
  • 4 3/8” x 5 3/4″ Envelopes (not pictured)

Step-by-step Instructions:

measure and cut
Because my printed cardstock were 12” x 12” in size, I had to cut them into 8 ½” x 11” sheets in order to print the diaper template from my printer.  You also want to cut your neutral colored cardstock into 4” x 5 ½” pieces, then your white printer paper into 3 ½” x 5” pieces.
IF you want to save some time, try to find a guillotine paper trimmer.  I actually went to Kinko’s and used theirs and let me tell you, it reduced the cutting time in half!

After this step is completed, you are now ready to print.

DSC00365
Click this diaper template link to download the PDF.
Print this diaper template on to the blank side of your patterned cardstock.  Before you start printing, make sure your page size options are set to ‘actual size’ or ‘100%’ under your printer options.

DSC00369
Next, download this Invitation Template and enter the appropriate information.  Print this to your 3 ½” x 5” white printer paper.

tape and paste
Use your adhesive dot roller to tape and center your white printer paper onto your neutral colored cardstock.

DSC00373
Now that your card is completed, it’s time to make the diapers.

DSC00377
Cut the diaper template.

template
This is what the diaper template should look like after being cut.

DSC00382
Fold the diaper at the dotted lines.

tape paste 2
Tape the flaps (only on printed side) using your adhesive dot roller,  then fold the diaper over and firmly press down.

DSC00388
Since I made 50 invitations, I had to tie 150 ribbons which was probably the most labor intensive part of making this card.  By the 75th ribbon, I honestly wanted to throw the spool out the window.  Just make sure to take breaks, otherwise I promise, your fingers will cramp.

DSC00393
Tie 1 small ribbon for the card itself, and then 2 slightly larger ones for the diaper.

paste
Glue the smaller ribbon to the card, up top and centered.

paste 2
Glue the 2 larger ribbons on the top corners of the diaper.

DSC00407DSC00414
Now you’re all set to send out adorable baby shower invitations!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial…Let me know if you have any questions by leaving a comment below!

Cheers to all of the creative minds and DIYourselfers. :)

41 Comments Add yours

1. These are adorable! I can’t believe you made 50 of them! You’re right though, the end result was totally worth it! -Kelly (Cobwebs, Cupcakes & Crayons)

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback. :)

2. They are amazing! They are so well made, you’ve inspired me to give DIY cards a go

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Thank you so much! I’m so happy to hear that I’ve inspired someone, it touches my heart to hear that.

1. Thats so sweet! You really have, I loved reading your post. You are very creative :)

3. michelle says:

i love you bestie! <3

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Only for you Michelle!<3

4. Wow, this is absolutely stunning and innovative!

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Thank you so much! I love that you think so :)

5. Kendall says:

Hi

I am having a baby shower but am not as crafty as you. Can you make the invites for me ? If yes, how much will you charge. I need 50 invites

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Hello Kendall!

Thanks for the interest; however, I am currently not taking any orders for cards due to my hectic work schedule. I apologize, but if and when I decide to, I will be sure to send you an email. Thank you!

6. Rachel says:

I absolutely adore these! Now I have to make 85 of them….uh oh! lol

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Haha, oh my goodness! And I thought I had it bad. Let me know if you have any questions about making the diaper invitations. Good luck :)

7. Kristi says:

These look amazing! I’m going to give them a try! I have to make about 50, too. About how many spools of ribbon did you use?

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Thanks Kristi! I used no more than 2 spools from Michael’s. Good luck. :)

8. Deanna says:

This is probably a silly question but how do you make the bows?

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Hi Deanna! With the ribbon, since you’re not tying it around an object, you don’t have to make the initial knot like you have to do for tying your shoes. Just directly jump to making a left loop then bringing the right side around and under the left loop. Tighten the bow, and voila! :) Hope this helps.

1. Sherlyn says:

I was really confused, and this answered all my qusneiost.

2. This “free sharing” of information seems too good to be true. Like communism.

3. share says:

That insight would have saved us a lot of effort early on.

9. Lorie says:

I love these. I am having a shower for my daughter-in-law. You have also inspired me to give these a try. Where did you find the blue and white checkered cardstock?

1. Bits of Mimi says:

Lorie, thank you for reading!
      I bought the blue and white checkered cardstock at Michael’s. They came in a variety booklet with different prints for $20, I believe. I hope this helps!

1. Lorie says:

Yes, I finally found it. I also found some little fake diaper pins to use instead of the ribbons on the sides. That will save me some time. I have a prototype made now. I love it. Thanks so much for sharing.

2. Bits of Mimi says:

Lorie, that’s great to hear! I’m glad I could help and would love to see pictures when you’re completed. :)

3. Lorie says:

They are finished and turned out adorable. I would love to send a pic but not sure how to post it.

4. Lorie says:

I think I figured out how to post the pic.

5. Lorie says:

I will attach a picture to this e-mail. Lorie

6. Bits of Mimi says:

I never received an email attachment from you! You can send it to contact@bitsofmimi.com
        I can’t wait to see it!

10. Lorie says:

I gusess I didn’t. LOL

11. sarairie3 says:

I love this- thank you, and I cannot wait to make this invite!
    What envelopes do you need for this invite, and where can I purchase them?

1. Bits of Mimi says:

I purchased 4 3/8” x 5 3/4″ plain white envelopes from Staples. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I would love to see the end product! :)

12. shanelle says:

can you please email me the invitation template i cant open the file.
    my email is shanelle.goldwagen@gmail.com
    thanks so much really love your ideas.

13. Gustavo says:

I see a lot of interesting content on your page. You have to spend a lot of
    time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is a tool that creates readable, SEO friendly articles in couple
    of minutes, just search in google – k2 unlimited content

14. Everette says:

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates unique, SEO friendly articles in minutes, just
    type in google – laranitas free content source

15. mP says:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful invitations, especially the templates. Can’t wait to make them for my daughter in law’s shower!

16. Nela B. says:

Very Beautiful! I have taken it upon myself to plan my brother’s baby shower. It’s their first baby & my 1st niece/nephew and I want to create these invitations. My question is how did you wrap these when you mailed them?

17. Donna H. says:

So cute! I will try this for my daughter’s shower. To save time you could use buttons instead of ribbon bows.

1. Bits of Mimi says:

That would be such a cute idea! I’m sure it turned out adorable. :)

18. Salvatore says:

Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this website daily, this web sit is actually nice
    and the users are actually sharing pleasant thoughts.